Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Oceanchild

Beach gypsy, Oceanchild, FISH... anyway you put it I am love with the ocean. Obsessed. & so here are my favorite bodies of water. Enjoy.


****************************************

I met these two beaches this summer on a cruise to Bermuda. The first one is Warwick Long Bay & the second one is Horseshoe Beach. These places are what I think of when I think of the beach. Or paradise for that matter. Turquoise waters that I used to see only in pictures and think the color was a digital effect.

Those oceans really do exist.

Beautiful green & blue, and clear straight down. Little coves to go snorkeling in & lots to see through the scuba mask. Not many waves, but the calming effect made up for it. Pink sand for miles. We woke up before the sunrise & headed out on a bus to the first beach. For a good 4 hours, we were the only people on that beach. The whole beach - to ourselves. THIS BEAUTIFUL BEACH & we had the run of it. I liked that. Then we moved our way over to Horseshoe & I swam in the water for 6 hours. 6 hours straight. With NO getting out of the water. Every time I was about to get out to go lounge on the sand, I would look at the open ocean of pure vast greatness & I couldn't bring myself to leave. I could live in that water





*************************************************************************************

This is Marina Piccolo on the small Island of Capri (right off of Naples / Sorrento) (Sorry about the horrible caption on the picture - google images did not produce much for this beach :-( ). This beach is what I think of when I think of the sea. Rocks, waves, no sand. Running into the water after being completely away from it for almost 2 months was amazing.


I was in the Mediterranean.


You will see those 3 giant rocks in the back in any postcard or painting of Capri. And there we were, spending the day swimming among them. The last day on our weekend trip we stayed in Sorrento. I can't find a picture of where we went swimming because I don't know the name of it. We found it completely by accident and it was amazing. There was a cove with a floor sparkling with sea glass. It was a quick mid-afternoon haven to the noisy busy city. That was what I would call a perfect vacation at sea.

*************************************************************************************

This is Nantasket Beach in Hull, MA. Every time I think of the ocean, I think of this place. Usually unforgivingly cold, rip-roaring, wave-crashing, wild ocean. There is no better day than a day spend before a storm getting bashed around and beat up by the giant waves. It's okay though, because your beach towel & the sand are waiting for you when your muscles can't move anymore, your sick from all the salt water you just inhaled through your nose & mouth, & your face hurts from laughing too much.


I make it a point to open my car windows when driving into Hull and say outloud "smell that ocean", because that smell, my god that smell. It hits you & its familiar, & its your childhood, & all the same, it's the unknown.






No comments: